Twenty-Second Judicial District Court of Louisiana
Jefferson Parish – 24th Judicial District Court
Orleans Parish – Civil District Court
St. Tammany Parish – 22nd Judicial District Court
Washington Parish – 22nd Judicial District Court
Family Law Resources
Louisiana Family & Divorce Law Statutes
Do's and Don'ts Of Divorce
- Be honest with your attorney. Community responsive to your attorney’s requests for information.
- Make an inventory of all and separate real and personal property with approximate values.
- Prepare a package of financial information, including but not limited to: tax returns, bank statements, securities account information, credit card statements, loan documents, real estate transactions, etc.
- List all the activities you participate in with your children.
- Prepare a budget of your and your children’s monthly expenses.
- Clarify for yourself, prior to seeing an attorney, your own important needs, interests and priorities.
- Do not involve your children in the divorce proceedings.
- Do not argue with your spouse. If unavoidable, do not argue in front of your children.
- Do not say negative things about your spouse to your children or to someone else within the hearing distance of your children.
- Try not to get overly emotional around your children about your divorce or your life after divorce. You may risk increasing their insecurity and fear about the future.
- Do not deny your spouse access to the children, unless there is a good reason to do so (i.e. domestic violence, abuse, etc.) and then only on the advice of counsel.